Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Dirty East London - why nowhere will ever compare...

  







Above is a selection of my own personal photographs of East London when I was back there last Autumn.

The photos are only a snippet of how amazing and magical East London is....

Originally a Jewish community area, East London (spanning Aldgate, Aldgate East, Whitechapel, Mile End, Dalston, Shoreditch, Brick Lane, Hoxton and Bethnal Green) with its original buildings, cobbled streets and cheap rents became the home to Bangladeshi immigrants.

Brick Lane, the main strip for Sunday markets, Jewish bakeries and second hand stores became home to endless curry houses. With curry houses came late night opening hours, throw in a few pubs and the Londoners are happy. For those of you who are unaware, a good curry after a few beers is the way to an Englishman/woman's heart.

What was and still is an old, run down part of London used its surroundings to become what it is today: quirky bars and restaurants, vintage stores, food markets, art galleries and cheap 'hole in the wall' food. Instead of London's West End with newly built bars and food joints, all full of the stuck up after work crowd, East London gives character, friendly people, good convo and inexpensive drinks.

And I haven't even started on the fashion yet, oh the fashion!!! Every time I go to East London I get excited and plan my East London outfit... The fashion matches the area: old, vintage, stylish and individual. I call it vintage mixed with preppy English. Think brogues with shorts, lace dresses, tweed blazers, fedora hats, knee high socks, vintage Levi's...

The Vintage stores (pricey but amazing) reflect the fashion - East London is definitely a vintage lover's dream.

Here are some websites for my fave spots:


www.theredchurch.co.uk/          
my favorite bar ever


http://www.beyondretro.com/    
hands down best vintage store in London


http://www.visitbricklane.org/   
guide to Brick Lane


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoxton_Square
a square full of bars - perfect for a bar crawl as I did for my 29th Birthday!!!
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home